Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mega Phobia

# 359 - Today's Living Word comes from Mr 4:41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!"

Without getting too deep into the Greek here, the idea of exceeding fear could be called “mega phobia.” Do you have any “phobias?” I don't like to admit it, but I have “claustrophobia.” There are times when I find myself in tight places that I get very fearful. ( I can't handle MRI's, and I'm not too thrilled about flying!)

If I were to add the idea of “mega” to my phobia, I would become “exceedingly fearful,” at these times, and I would literally become undone. The thought of such a meltdown scares me, but this is what happened to the disciples. They had a meltdown.

They were experiencing something similar to what Isaiah experienced when he was ushered into the presence of the pure and holy God. Remember his words? “Woe is me I am undone!” (Is 6:5) (He was having a meltdown)

One of the fascinating aspects of this account is that the disciples were MORE fearful AFTER the seas were calm! They were fearful during the storm but now are described as “exceedingly fearful!” Why?

Because like Isaiah, who became “undone” when he was in the presence of God, these disciples became undone when they realized who was truly in the boat with them! In terrified awe they ask, “Who can this be that the elements of nature are obedient to Him?

This is not just some great teacher. This is not just someone who serves as a great moral example. This is not some prophet. This is not just some gifted buddy. This is God! This is Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God!

And if the elements of nature are obedient to Him, then we ought to seek to be obedient as well. He is not just the Savior of the world, He is the Lord! And one day, when He returns, every knee will bow to that truth.

Isa 45:22 "Look to Me, and be saved, All you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other. 23 I have sworn by Myself; The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness, And shall not return, That to Me every knee shall bow, Every tongue shall take an oath.

Look to Jesus now, today and be saved! Don't delay for you don't know when your days on earth are through. Confess Him now as your Savior and LORD. Those who make that confession while they live in the here and now will live on in eternal bliss, the ones who refuse to bow their knees will live on in eternal torment in hell..

Bow your knee today!

I'm Duane Matz and that's Today's Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment