Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2023

My Eyes Are Dry

 

Good day, I’m Duane Matz and this is Today’s Living Word.

The Lenten season is approaching (Ash Wednesday is Feb 22nd)  and this year, I plan on doing something I haven’t done in quite sometime…..give something up for Lent.

 

If you must know, I am giving up sweets.

 

My reasoning is simple. When the craving for sweets comes knocking at my door, I want to refocus my thoughts on what Jesus gave up for me on Calvary. It seems a trivial thing to equate my craving for a jelly doughnut to the Passion of Christ, but that’s not the point.

 

The point is I’m bad at turning my thoughts to Jesus in my day to day living. The point is, I often forget.

 

 

 

How can I forget the jeering, the mocking, the crown of thorns, the scourging, the spikes driven through His hands and feet. The desertion of His closest friends, and even the forsaking by His Father! All for me. The guy who pats himself on the back because he tithes, and doesn’t curse anymore.

 

I forget what He gave up for me! I remember the early days of my conversion and how I wept over the great sacrificial love Christ displayed for me on the cross. Where are those tears now as the curse of lukewarmness creeps into my life.

I am reminded of an old Keith Green song that speaks of my plight:

My eyes are dry, my faith is old.

My heart is hard, my prayers are cold

And I know how I ought to be,

Alive to You and dead to me.

But what can be done, for an old heart like mine.

Soften it up with oil and wine,

The oil is you Your Spirit is love

Please wash me anew with the wine of Your blood.

Here’s a link to the song Keith Green - My eyes are dry - YouTube

 

Oh Lord, in my noble quest to be obedient, never let me forget that I daily continue to fall short, and that You died for me, let that jelly donut remind me daily during Lent of the blood You shed for me.

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment