Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Baptism Part 2 A Dispute Arose

 

Good day, I’m Duane Matz and this is today’s Living Word.

 

Last time we began our series on baptism. I hope you will continue along with me on this journey as we explore some areas that I feel need exploring.

 

To say that doctrines concerning baptism have been a flashpoint for division amongst Christians is a colossal understatement. In this short series, I am not trying to add fuel to the fire, and I am not opening the floor up for debate. I encourage you to work out your own position based on what God shows you in His Word.

 

The arguments over baptism are certainly nothing new and I think God wants us to be keenly aware of this fact as evidenced in what goes on in the third chapter of the gospel of John.

 

This is the chapter where we find the late-night meeting with Jesus and Nicodemus.  Let’s pick it up in verse 3:

 

 

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." 4 Nicodemus said to Him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" 5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

 

The phrase “born of water and the Spirit” turns the hearts of Lutherans (such as myself) to thoughts of baptism. Right or wrong the subject is introduced, and what I find interesting is the subject is brought up again later in the chapter. (Context is a great biblical concept!)

 

Joh 3:22 After these things Jesus and His disciples came into the land of Judea, and there He remained with them and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing in Aenon near Salim, because there was much water there. And they came and were baptized. 24 For John had not yet been thrown into prison. 25 Then there arose a dispute between some of John's disciples and the Jews about purification.

 

“A dispute arose about purification!” And that’s the only point I want to make here. Baptism, sadly, doesn’t come without disputes. Know that! Brace yourself for it, and above all, be civil about it.

As I said at the beginning, search the Scriptures on the matter. Ask God to help clarify it for you. Then you will do well to seek to do all that Jesus has commanded in this matter.

 

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment