Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Baptism Part 1

 

Good day, I’m Duane Matz and this is today’s Living Word.

 

Currently, I am doing a Bible Study with a group of men at my church. The study was compiled by Terry Tieman and it’s called “The Discipleship Journey” First Steps for Growing Your Faith.

I highly recommend it!

 

Week 2 of the study brings up the matter of baptism, and rightly so, as (like it or not) it relates to the matter of discipleship. The essence of the Greek in the passage that we call “the great commission” is that disciples are made by baptism.

 

Mt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

 

 

What is a disciple if not a follower of Jesus, a disciple is a student of Jesus. Therefore, when one is baptized, one is enrolled in the school of Christ. In this school, our textbook is the Word of God and the question always begs to be asked. How are you doing?  How are you doing as a student of Christ?

 

Thankfully at our time of enrollment we are also given a tutor….the Holy Spirit!

 

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

 

The Holy Spirit then will teach us what we need to know! And at the perfect pace for each one of us!

 

Joh 14:26 "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

 

Well, that’s enough for today, but I encourage you to join me in this blog over the next several days as we explore further this matter of baptism.

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment