Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

I Vote Pro-Life

 

I vote pro-life. It is my first consideration before casting my ballot. I’m not ashamed of that litmus test because it’s also the first issue brought up in our Declaration of Independence. “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

 

For the aborted unborn child, there is no life, and without life, there is no liberty, and certainly no happiness to pursue. I vote pro-life.

 

At this point, I implore you to save your argumentative comments for another platform. Social media is no place to debate anything. The Proverbs are rife with the challenge for Christians to guard their mouths, and I find that once the comments start, strife is not far behind. Pr 15:1 say7s, “A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.

 

Being a pro-life voter, you can easily see that I was disappointed in the results of our presidential election, but then, I’ve been disappointed before. When disappointment creeps in, I turn to Romans 13 and remind myself who is in control:

Ro 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.

 

God’s got this, as He has had every presidential race. In His wisdom, He gives us either what we need, or what we deserve. Win, lose, or draw, I have seen my part in the aftermath of any election summed up in 1Ti 2:1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

I will not spend the next four years of my life trashing the President of the United States or Congress, rather I will pray for them.

By the way this New Testament admonition is not without precedent. I was reading the Book of Ezra this morning, In chapter 6 we read a decree issued by King Darius concerning his blessing on the Jews as they had returned to Jerusalem to rebuild the Temple. Listen to what he said in Ezr 6:9,10, “And whatever they need-young bulls, rams, and lambs for the burnt offerings of the God of heaven, wheat, salt, wine, and oil, according to the request of the priests who are in Jerusalem-let it be given them day by day without fail,  10 that they may offer sacrifices of sweet aroma to the God of heaven, and pray for the life of the king and his sons.

Then look at the results of these prayers! Ezr 6:22 And they kept the Feast of Unleavened Bread seven days with joy; for the LORD made them joyful, and turned the heart of the king of Assyria toward them, to strengthen their hands in the work of the house of God, the God of Israel.

Sounds an awful lot like the quiet and peaceable life of the church mentioned in  

1 Timothy doesn’t it?

 

I know there is much more that can be said about this subject, but time and space do not permit it. Suffice to say, that the purpose of this blog today was to challenge you to pray for those in authority, and to show you that such prayers are not a new thing as we read in Ezra. And to remind you that maybe our country could use a little peace and quiet right now, so we, the church can get on with the business of sharing the Gospel! That’s the real answer to our woes anyway!


By the way, President Trump is still in office....lift him up in prayer!

No comments :

Post a Comment