Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2021

He Prepared His Ways Before the Lord

 

 

I love reading about the Old Testament kings as found in the Book of 2 Chronicles. It’s a little bit like the Book of Judges in that there are rulers who sought to live according to God’s Word and others who opted for the ways of the world around them.

 

We can learn from both!

 

Today, let’s talk about Jotham. He was 25 years old when he became king and he reigned 16 years. “And he did what was right in the sight of the Lord,” (2 Chron 27:2) God honored his resolve and blessed his 16 year reign. And we are told in verse 6 that Jotham, “became mighty because he prepared his ways before the Lord his God!”  

 

Why did he become mighty?

 

What a wise course of action and one we would do well to emulate. Far too often we Christians are of the mindset, “Ready! Fire! Aim! Rather than letting God lead the way. Or we will get an idea in our head, and because it “feels right,” we plunge ahead without prayerfully seeking God’s will. As a result for example, far too many marriages are ended, or ungodly living arrangements are pursued to our ultimate harm.

And it’s not just in these arenas that we rush ahead of God. I know I have made some rash decisions myself in ministry, where I would plunge ahead with my plans and ask God to bless them, rather than waiting for God’s plan which is already blessed!

Pr 19:21says, “There are many plans in a man's heart, Nevertheless the LORD'S counsel-that will stand.”

King Jotham knew this principle.  He applied it in his life, waited on the Lord, and became mighty!

 

One thing I have learned in this life. I don’t need to push the envelope. If God has a plan for me, He will bring it to me, I don’t need to chase after my misty ideas.  In the meantime, I need to be prepared, and then I need to keep my eyes and ears open for what God brings my way.

 

So how do we prepare? We prepare by getting into God’s Word and letting God’s Word get into us! Make this preparation a way of life as it says in Pr 6:21 Bind them (God’s commands) continually upon your heart; Tie them around your neck.  22 When you roam, they will lead you; When you sleep, they will keep you; And when you awake, they will speak with you.  23 For the commandment is a lamp, And the law a light; Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,

No comments :

Post a Comment