Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

A Shout Out To God and Medical Professionals

 

I came across a verse this morning and I thought, “Wow! This could be dangerous for someone who takes it the wrong way!

I’m afraid some have. Some, to their own harm, and the harm of their children,  have ignored God’s gift of physicians that He may use  in the healing process.

 

The verse is found in 2Ch 16 and it concerns King Asa who was stricken with a severe foot malady. In verse 12 we read, “And in the thirty-ninth year of his reign, Asa became diseased in his feet, and his malady was severe; yet in his disease he did not seek the LORD, but the physicians.”

It’s not that physicians are bad, (I mean, c’mon Luke, the writer of the third Gospel was a doctor!) the problem with Asa was he totally left God out of the picture. He forgot that all healing passes through the hands of God! Ps 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits:  3 Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases,

Physicians use their God-given skills and knowledge of our bodies which are “fearfully and wonderfully” made by God to assess our situation and then use what is available to help us heal.

I’m very thankful for the physicians that have helped me through times of malfunction in my body, but I know my ultimate healing comes through the hands of God, and so I pray! I seek Him first. I know God is a “must” part of my healing equation!

But to ignore the gift of physicians and others in the medical profession for healing is like the man stranded on the roof of his house during a flood and refusing the aid of rescue people in a boat and then a helicopter. He is swept away and perishes in the flood and finds himself before God and asks, “God why didn’t you rescue me?” God replies, “well I sent you a boat and a helicopter.”

 

With my recent month long stay in the Covid unit of an area hospital, I sure did appreciate the prayers of many of you who brought my situation before the Lord, and I also appreciated the care of the physicians who sought the best possible treatment available for my recovery.

So, this devotional is first a shout out to God in thankfulness for His healing power and also a shout out to those medical professionals who use their God-given knowledge of the human body as channels of healing.   

No comments :

Post a Comment