Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

There Has Never Been A More Loving Glance

# 728 Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 14:72 A second time the rooster crowed. Then Peter called to mind the word that Jesus had said to him, "Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times." And when he thought about it, he wept.

It wasn't just the rooster crowing that called the words of Jesus to mind. Luke tells us that at this very moment Jesus caught his eye. Most likely Jesus was being led out of the courtroom through the courtyard (where Peter was hanging out) to another place for safekeeping until further proceedings.

What was this moment like? Jesus not only caught Peter's eye, but Peter could also see Jesus and what his captors had done to His face with their closed fists of rage. Through the swollen face of Jesus His eyes still speak saying to Peter, “I know what you just did Peter. I told you it would happen and it did. You denied Me even while I was being mocked, punched in the face and spit upon. But even though I am hurting from the beating I took, I care enough to still take the time to look you in the eye.”

It is rightly understood that this look was not one of condemnation, but of love and forgiveness. In fact, I would venture to say that there has never been a more love filled glance recorded in all of history.

Friend, this look for Peter was meant just as much for you and I. How many times have we let Jesus down? How many times have we lived like we never heard of Him?

Let this moment for Peter be forever burned into our memory. And when we are reminded of our failures, yes, let us weep, but in our weeping, allow Him to gaze upon us with love and forgiveness. Let your tears be transformed from tears of sorrow to tears of joy! Jesus loves you. He forgives you!

Father, in the busyness of my life, help me to learn to slow down. Help me to pause and allow the gaze of Jesus to meet me where I am.

No comments :

Post a Comment