Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What Good Thing Shall I Do To Be Saved?

# 591 - Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 10:26,27 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, "Who then can be saved?" But Jesus looked at them and said, "With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible."

The great astonishment of the disciples tells us that they understand completely what Jesus is saying. They also confess the rich young ruler in all of us! Yes, there is a little bit of covetousness in all of us, and if this desire to be at ease materially is in all of us, (trust in riches) and keeps us out of the kingdom, “Who then can be saved?”

But Jesus looked at them one by one because again, He wants them to get His point. Men cannot save themselves. There is not one single good thing we can do to earn heaven. And this takes us back to the initial question of the rich young ruler as stated in Mt 19:16b “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"

There is no good thing! All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags! It is impossible for us because we are born, yes even conceived as spiritually dead people. “The natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit,” (1Co 2:14) “Unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (Jn 3:2) It is impossible for a dead man to revive himself, but it is not impossible for God. He is able to save to the uttermost!

I know. He saved me.

Oh, God, let me never forget that it is my Your great mercy that I am a follower of Christ. Keep me ever reliant on Him.

No comments :

Post a Comment