Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Baptized With the Holy Spirit

# 601 - Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 10:38,39 “But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you ask. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?" They said to Him, "We are able." So Jesus said to them, "You will indeed drink the cup that I drink, and with the baptism I am baptized with you will be baptized;

I believe that Jesus is pointing the disciples ahead to Pentecost, for it was on that day that the disciples experienced the baptism of fire. The word “baptize” here means to be whelmed or completely covered. Some have used these verses as proof of the necessity of baptism by immersion, but be careful, there is enough proof in other places of Scripture that discount such a doctrine.

Nonetheless, the effect of water baptism is the same, it produces a “whelming”, a saturation, of the Holy Spirit in those who receive it. Baptism also produces a drinking of the cup, that is, a complete emptying of self as the old man is crucified, and the new man aflame with the Holy Spirit comes forth.

The Holy Spirit (the baptism of Jesus, Mt 3:11) was given to the church on Pentecost, and He is received in baptism. (Acts 2:38Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you SHALL RECEIVE the gift of the Holy Spirit.)

This passage is also interpreted to speak of the necessity of suffering for those who follow Jesus, and while this is true, we do the text no harm as we speak of baptism because, once we are received into the kingdom, we will also take on His suffering in varying degrees......it comes with the territory.

Father, thank You for the gift of the Holy Spirit, and help me to empty my cup (my self) on a daily basis so He may have full sway in my life, helping me to endure any and all struggles that may come my way.

No comments :

Post a Comment