Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Lessons of Bartimaeus

# 606 - Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 10:49,50 “So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, "Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you." And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus”

Blind Bartimaeus. A picture of you and I when we were once lost, as the song says “I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.”

Please note that Jesus has responded to the heartfelt cry for mercy from Bartimaeus. He knows when we need it, He knows when we are ready for it. When we are ready, He calls. How does He call?

The call is stated beautifully in the Lutheran catechism, where we read, “I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me through the Gospel.”

Jesus calls those desiring mercy through the words of the Gospel, and when we hear those words in our heart of hearts, our heart is cheered as we rise up from our lost condition to meet Him, casting aside all those things of the world that might hinder us.

Did you notice what Bartimaeus did? He cast aside his garment. Do you understand this? Bartimaeus was blind! Removing his garment wasn't going to help him run any faster. It was a symbolical act, of casting aside any and all hindrances to responding to God's mercy..

Beloved, when you hear the call be prepared to let go of any and all things that will hinder you from responding fully to the call and mercy of Christ.

Father, I need Your mercy daily, help me to cast off any hindrances to receiving it.

No comments :

Post a Comment