Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Love Your Kingdom Less Than His

# 593 - Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 10:29-31 “So Jesus answered and said, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My sake and the gospel's, "who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time--houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions--and in the age to come, eternal life. "But many who are first will be last, and the last first."

This text is so rich, so full of blessing for the followers of Christ, I hardly know where to begin. Let's start with the word “assuredly.” This is a promise from Jesus that will never fail. It is always true. It's money in the spiritual bank!

He uses an extreme example to make His point. What could be the most difficult thing to sever ties with in order to follow Jesus? How about home and everything associated with it. House, family, (Matthew and Luke include wife in the list.)

This leaving is a declaration that we are pilgrims here. As the old hymn says, “I'm but a stranger here, heaven is my home.”

Understand that He is not advocating deserting your spouse, your children, your parents, or your family. That would be contrary to everything in the Scriptures. All he is saying is love them less than you love Him. Love His kingdom more than yours.

Father, I find my kingdom often collides with Your kingdom, and far too often I leave You in order to follow my own whims and fantasies. Help me to see that Yours is the only kingdom that will last, help me to seek first the kingdom of God and it's associated righteousness, believing then that You will be the caretaker of my kingdom.

No comments :

Post a Comment