Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2023

The Sinner's Prayer

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

The sinners prayer. Of course the original sinner’s prayer was spoken by the publican in the temple, when he was so overcome by his sin that he couldn’t even look up, but rather beat his breast and aid, “have mercy on me, a sinner.” Hard to top that one1

Some of you hearing or reading this blog have likely said another sinner’s prayer at a time when you were broken by your sin, and understood the gospel for the first time. It was really made popular during the crusade years of evangelist Billy Graham. Billy would thunder God’s Law from the pulpit and then extend the sweet offer of forgiveness through the Gospel, then lead willing hearts to say the sinners prayer, which went something like this: “Dear Lord,

I admit that I am a sinner and have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself only. I am sorry, and I repent. I ask you to forgive me. I believe that you died on the cross for me, to save me. You did what I could not do for myself. I come to you now and ask you to take control of my life; I give it to you. From this day forward, help me to live every day for you and in a way that pleases you. I love you, Lord, and I thank you that I will spend all eternity with you. Amen. When spoken from the heart, this is a beautiful sentiment.

 

This kind of praying was kind of foreign to us Lutherans, but we had our own version of the sinners prayer which we sang in church every Sunday after the pastor had finished his sermon. If the sermon was rightly preached, the Law would be thundered and the sweet Gospel presented as well. After the pastor said “Amen” the congregation would sing words directly from the 51st Psalm. It was called The Offertory.” “Create in me a clean heart O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from Thy presence and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation, and uphold me with Thy free spirit. (Sounds like a sinner’s prayer to me!)

 

I miss this part of the Lutheran worship service, it seems to have gotten out of vogue. I still remember the first time I sang it in church after my prodigal season had ended. It brought me to tears and still does! Thank You Jesus for restoring to me the joy of Your salvation!

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment