Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The Good Samaritan

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

My morning devo took me to the account of the Good Samaritan found in Luke chapter 10. We all know the story, a man beaten up by robbers and left for dead in the ditch, two religious leaders pass him by, and then the Good Samaritan stops by and provides the necessary care. Let’s pick it up in Lu 10:34 "So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

 35 "On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.'

 

 

Every time I read this account I see Jesus as the good Samaritan and the man in the ditch, a sinner like you and I that has been beaten up by that thief the devil. Jesus brings the oil of the gospel to us and heals our wounds, (By His stripes we are healed) Then He takes us to the inn. I view the inn as the church, a place for recovering sinners. He provides two denarii for our care, (Word and Sacrament)  and instructs the innkeeper, (the church) to provide word and Sacrament for the recovering sinner until He returns. And as we faithfully carry out those duties He promises to repay us when He returns.

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment