Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Potholes

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

Potholes! If you live in my home state of Wisconsin, you know that pothole season is in full swing. These seemingly random craters appear on our roadways like miniature sink holes and we try to swerve around them, but eventually we hit some,  and after the physical jolt on our body and the car, it’s off to the auto repair shop for a wheel alignment. I don’t know of anyone who speaks highly of potholes, except maybe the owner of the auto repair shop!

 

Yesterday, while filling in on the afternoon show on “The Family radio station, I played the Selah song. “Bless the Broken Road.” Most of you are probably familiar with the Rascal Flatts version, but every time I hear that song I think of the broken pothole filled road I was on that eventually led me to Jesus. When I do that, I have a whole different attitude about potholes. I pause and consider how the “potholes” jarred me into the need for a realignment in my own life. I think many of us have had a spiritual pothole or two occur in our lives. For me personally, it was my second OWI that occurred as a result of hitting a light pole in downtown Two Rivers Wisconsin. The impact was far worse than an ordinary pothole, but God used that incident to jar me back into the reality that I needed Him!

 

So this spring I plan to take a different approach to potholes. Instead of getting all upset about them, I am going to pause and say a prayer of thanksgiving to God for using the potholes in my life to lead me back to Him! I invite you to do the same!

Heavenly spiritual realignments are good for each one of us as we travel the narrow road.

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment