Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ask the Lord To Dig A Ditch

# 541 - Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 9:24, “Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

The father had just heard Jesus say that all things are possible to him who believes and his response is immediate and powerful. He yelled out through his tears of despair for his son, “I believe, help my unbelief!”

The word believe shows up several times in these verses and it always means the same thing. To believe is to entrust or have faith in something. And of course that something is Jesus. To believe is to entrust your entire well-being to Christ

This father is in a great place of faith here. He realizes that EVEN HIS FAITH IS DEPENDENT UPON JESUS. “Jesus,” he says. “Give me what faith I am lacking.”

The word “help” is very interesting as well. It means to ask for aid or relief. It comes from another word that means to dig a ditch. The picture I get is relieving pressure in a flood by diverting the flow of water by creating a ditch. And I see this father as saying, “Lord dig a ditch that will allow Your grace to flow into this situation and strengthen my faith.”

This simple asking of help from Jesus is actually a form of worship. Mt 15:25 says, Then she came and WORSHIPED saying, "Lord, HELP me!" When you pray, “Lord help me,” you are engaged in worship! May this truth strengthen your resolve to pray.

O God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Help all those today who need an extra measure of Your grace. Dig a ditch of relief and let the flood of Your grace come to them in their time of need.

No comments :

Post a Comment