Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Don't Get Too Comfortable

# 248 Today’s Living Word comes from Mark 1:35-38 Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. When they found Him, they said to Him, "Everyone is looking for You." But He said to them, "Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth."

What was Jesus praying about? We aren’t told for certain, but it seems that when Peter and the others found Him, He had a new resolve. “Let’s not hang around here! I’ve been speaking to My Father about this since early this morning, and He reminded Me that I’ve been called to do more than minister to the people of Capernaum, we need to move on.” I think Jesus got up extra early to pray because there was a strong temptation to stay in the comfortable surroundings of Capernaum.

I think the lesson for us is to resist the temptation to become too comfortable with our own Christian surroundings. We also need to press on, always stretching our comfort zone, always seeking to grow spiritually, as we work out our own calling in the kingdom of God.

I’m Duane Matz and that’s today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment