Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2021

What Sin

 

Job 13:20 "Only two things do not do to me, Then I will not hide myself from You: 21 Withdraw Your hand far from me, And let not the dread of You make me afraid. 22 Then call, and I will answer; Or let me speak, then You respond to me. 23 How many are my iniquities and sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin. 24 Why do You hide Your face, And regard me as Your enemy? 25 Will You frighten a leaf driven to and fro? And will You pursue dry stubble? 26 For You write bitter things against me, And make me inherit the iniquities of my youth.

Do you remember the sweet call of the Gospel in your life? In this portion of Job’s prayer, he is ripe for the call. He is asking for the touch of God, (“Do not withdraw Your hand from me.”) but he wants that touch without getting zapped.  He wants his picture of an angry God removed from his radar screen! (“Let not the dread of You make me afraid.”) This is a man who is weary of being oppressed by the Law, a soul that thirsts to hear the gospel. Isa 55:1-3 puts it so beautifully! “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters; And you who have no money, Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk Without money and without price.  2 Why do you spend money for what is not bread, And your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, And let your soul delight itself in abundance.  3 Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live; And I will make an everlasting covenant with you-The sure mercies of David.”

 

The Holy Spirit calls us with the assurance of forgiveness of our sins through faith in the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. When we hear that sure call, we, like Job, will answer. (v22) or we will speak (ask Jesus into our lives) and God will respond. (v22)

 

Having heard and believed the gospel we no longer need fear our past sins (reveal them to me Lord, (v23) I will confess them because I no longer fear the judgement they deserve since they are under the blood of Jesus!)  Even the unchecked sins of our youth Job, (v26) are forgiven and placed under the blood.

What sin is of a redeemed child of God is ever brought up for charges? The answer is not one. In Christ our sins are buried in the sea of forgetfulness. Mic 7:19 reminds us, “He will again have compassion on us, And will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins Into the depths of the sea.”

 

One of my all-time favorite songs dealing with this truth was done my Morgan Cryar. It’s called “What Sin.” If you are struggling with receiving God’s forgiveness for your past sins, I encourage you to give it a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBtCfiSL5o

No comments :

Post a Comment