Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

A Hefty Promise

 

 

I think most of us deal with guilt over past sins. It’s understandable. The accuser (the devil) has been cast down and he is very angry because he knows his time is short, so he is constantly reminding us that God couldn’t possibly forgive _______(name your sin) in hopes that we will despair and give up on faith.

 

But the Bible is loaded with references to God’s power to forgive all sins. There are various word pictures presented to us in His Word to remind us of His blanket forgiveness. One of my favorites is the reference to my sins being made “white as snow.” (I mean I do live in Wisconsin!)

Isa 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

 

Then there’s the reference to my sins being cast away as far as east is from the west: Ps 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.

 

Other references include are sins being covered:  Ps 32:1 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered. (David wrote this and his sins included murder and adultery!)

Blotted out and holy amnesia!  Isa 43:25 "I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins.

Pardoning and passing over!  Mic 7:18 Who is a God like You, Pardoning iniquity And passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, Because He delights in mercy.

 

Putting away”:  Heb 9:26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.

All these different word pictures of God’s forgiveness….seems like He wants us to get this.

 

If these aren’t enough, I found a new one today in the book of Job! Job 14:16 For now You number my steps, But do not watch over my sin. 17 My transgression is sealed up in a bag, And You cover my iniquity.

Maybe not as poetic and song worthy as “White as Snow” or, As Far As East Is From the West” But hey, through faith in Jesus Christ, all your sins are put in a bag and sealed by God. That’s a hefty promise! (Pun intended!) If that bag is sealed by God, ain’t no devil gonna bust it open! And God promises to keep it forever closed and covered!

 

The Lutheran commentator Lenski, has written this about God’s forgiveness. He says, when God forgives sins, He puts them in a place where even He can’t find them!

I hope this little devo today will help you the next time you struggle with guilt. Because of _________ (Name your sin) There is complete forgiveness with God, so that He may be feared (revered) (Ps 130:4)

 

No comments :

Post a Comment