Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2020

# 119 No Fear of God Before Their Eyes

 

# 119 No Fear of God Before Their Eyes

 

Ps 36:1 <<To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the servant of the LORD.>> An oracle within my heart concerning the transgression of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes.

 I was reading the 36th Psalm this morning as part of my daily devotional routine. (By the way I highly recommend such a daily routine for you as well! Get into the Word and let the Word get into you! In our world of 2020, it’s the only place where you will find 100% reliable truth!)

 

Anyway, I was struck by the very first verse of Ps 36. It said, “An oracle within my heart concerning the transgression of the wicked: There is no fear of God before his eyes.” In this season of finger pointing on both sides, maybe we, as followers of Christ need to do some serious soul searching in light of this verse.

 

I, like most people, am appalled by the total disrespect for life and property we are witnessing in several cities across America! I am taken aback by the sheer anger and lack of any civility on display against fellow human beings.  I find a little righteous finger pointing anger roiling up in myself as I react to what I am seeing on the news.

 

But then, I saw this verse, and it occurred to me to ask the question, “What have we in the church set before the eyes of this generation?” What do they see? Do they look at us and our lifestyles and observe a people who have a deep reverence for God? Do they see the “fear of God before their eyes?” Or are they seeing a generation of followers of Jesus Christ who pick and choose what they will obey? Are they seeing people who treasure God’s commandments with their mouths, but trash them with their deeds?

How are you doing with the commands of God? Jesus said, “If you love Me you will keep My commandments.” (Jn 14:15)

Judgment begins in the house of God (1 Pet 4:17) Let’s stop pointing fingers and start cleaning up our act church! Let’s seek to live in rightful reverence of God and put the “fear of God” before the eyes of this generation once again.  The world needs to see it! Always has and always will.

 

2Ch 7:14 says, "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”

 

Let’s get serious with our “fear of the Lord.” The world is watching, and down the road, it will make a difference.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment