Search This Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2017

# 34 It's Called Conviction Of Sin

The Book of Genesis Day 34 Ge 3:8 And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. 9 Then the LORD God called to Adam and said to him, "Where are you?" 10 So he said, "I heard Your voice in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself." 11 And He said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not? Adam and Eve have defied God and tasted of the forbidden fruit. God had told them from the get go, that if they ate of it they would die, then they heard the sound of God walking in the garden. “Gulp!” What would you do? I know I’d be hanging on to my fig leaf for dear life and looking for someplace to hide! Then God calls to Adam. “Adam, where are you?” The first of many all knowing God questions in the Bible. Why does God ask these questions if He is omniscient? In this case, He asks Adam because Adam needed to stop and consider where he was. God asks us these questions because he wants us to learn from our answers. Adam needed to stop and consider where he was in his relationship with God. He needed some self-examination! What happened that his relationship with God had changed from perfect love to abject fear? Adam is dazed and confused at this point. He really can’t explain things, only that He heard God’s voice, and became fearful because he was naked, and so he hid. He knows something is wrong with his relationship with God, but he hasn’t connected it yet to his disobedience. So God connects the dots for him. It’s called conviction!. “Have you eaten from the tree I told you not to eat from?” (Which is really another way of saying, “Have you sinned?”) It’s a question God brings to every person who is out of fellowship with Him. I’m speaking to those of you reading this now who know something is wrong with your life. God did not intend for you to live in fearful hiding from Him! How long will you continue the charade? How long will you try to hide from an all-knowing God? He knows your sin, and deep down inside, you know it too! Stop trying to cover it with your flimsy little fig leaves of good works and excuses. They will not restore your fearless intimacy with God. Rather, admit “against You alone have I sinned O Lord,” and then turn to Jesus, so named because He shall save us from our sins.! Reflect: Have you ever been frightened by a sound? How were your fears relieved? How would you describe your relationship with God? Is it fear based or love based? What can we do to move toward a more love based relationship? Why is it important to have both a healthy fear and a healthy love of God? Pray: Lord, grant to me a healthy fear and love of You. Thank You for the convicting ministry of the Holy Spirit, help me to be open to correction, and trust in Your loving forgiveness, that I may repent of my sins and walk in fellowship with You! .

No comments :

Post a Comment