Search This Blog

Monday, July 22, 2024

Speak the Truth In Love

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

Ps 39:3 My heart was hot within me; While I was musing, the fire burned. Then I spoke with my tongue:

 

This verse can be summed up with two words, “righteous indignation.” I believe it’s one of those things that go along with being a follower of Jesus.

 

Jesus put it on full display for us when He overturned the money changers tables in the temple. But it was on display elsewhere in Scripture, especially with his verbal exchanges with the self-righteous of His day.

 

As you read through the Bible, you should note too that a flashpoint for the righteous indignation of God often is centered on injustice. Especially among the weak, the orphans, the widows, the poor.

 

As you live out your faith, there are times when you heart will burn with a desire to speak out about injustice, and eventually it will speak out in action and words.

 

Sometimes you just gotta say  or do something! Before you do, I urge you to temper your reaction with the words of Col 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

 

 

With the presidential election just around the corner and the announcement that President Biden is withdrawing from the race, the abortion issue will be front and center. There will be much rhetoric on both sides, and as your heart burns to speak out, remember to speak with grace seasoned with salt. Just another way of saying  “speak the truth, but speak it in love.”

 

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment