Search This Blog

Thursday, July 9, 2020

# 77 Putting Food In Its Proper Place


Joh 4:31 In the meantime His disciples urged Him, saying, "Rabbi, eat." 32 But He said to them, "I have food to eat of which you do not know." 33 Therefore the disciples said to one another, "Has anyone brought Him anything to eat?" 34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.

“Meanwhile, back at the ranch” ……The Samaritan woman has scurried back to town to tell her kinsmen about Jesus, and the disciples who had gone into the city to purchase some food, urge Jesus to eat, but Jesus says something very strange. “I have food to eat of which you do not know.”

The disciples take that to mean that someone had brought food to Jesus while they were in town.  “Nope, that’s not what I mean guys. My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.”

It’s not that Jesus as the Son of Man can live without food. Physical food is necessary to sustain life. The statement from Jesus in Mt 4:4, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.'" Does not remove physical food from the equation, it just puts it in proper perspective.

Job, replying to Eliphaz in Job 23:12 said, “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth More than my necessary food.”

To obey God, to treasure His words is to do His will and finish the work He has sent YOU to do! Jesus put the will of His Father into words in Joh 6:40 "And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."

In His priestly prayer found in Joh 17:4 He said,  "I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.

And in Jn 17:6, "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world

And in Joh 17:8 "For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.”

This is where you and I come in, for our food must be first and foremost to do the will of the Father and finish the work He has given us. That work is summed up in Mt 28:19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

The question each of us need to ask ourselves is this: “Where does the great commission fit into our food chain? If it’s not number one, if we don’t value it above our necessary food, then we have a spiritual problem that we need to take to the Great Physician.

It’s never too late to start eating right. Let’s get our life’s priorities and calling back on track. Let’s do His will and finish the work that he has given us and gifted us to do.


No comments :

Post a Comment