Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

# 289 Beware of “the Nevers”


The Book of Genesis

Day 289


Ge 31:30 "And now you have surely gone because you greatly long for your father's house, but why did you steal my gods?"  31 Then Jacob answered and said to Laban, "Because I was afraid, for I said, 'Perhaps you would take your daughters from me by force.'  32 "With whomever you find your gods, do not let him live. In the presence of our brethren, identify what I have of yours and take it with you." For Jacob did not know that Rachel had stolen them.  33 And Laban went into Jacob's tent, into Leah's tent, and into the two maids' tents, but he did not find them. Then he went out of Leah's tent and entered Rachel's tent.  34 Now Rachel had taken the household idols, put them in the camel's saddle, and sat on them. And Laban searched all about the tent but did not find them.  35 And she said to her father, "Let it not displease my lord that I cannot rise before you, for the manner of women is with me." And he searched but did not find the household idols.

Laban understands why Jacob longed to go home, but he wants to know why someone in Jacob’s party thought it was necessary to steal his household gods. Jacob says that he stole away without telling Laban because he was afraid Laban would use force to bring his daughters back.

As for the gods, or anything else for that matters, if he finds them amongst his party, let the person who stole them be put to death! Wow! That’s brash! Jacob was that  certain of the integrity of those in his party! Little did he know that the thief was his treasured Rachel! Let that be a lesson for all of us. Never say never! It may come back to bite you.

Remember Peter?  His use of the word “never” should serve as a reminder to all of us. Mt 26:31 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written: 'I will strike the Shepherd, And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'  32 "But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee."  33 Peter answered and said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble."  34 Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times."  35 Peter said to Him, "Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!" And so said all the disciples.”

“I will never be made to stumble.” …..famous last words!

The Holy Spirit, speaking through the Apostle Paul reminds us in 1Co 10:12, “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.”

I remember my own struggles in this arena. In the past I have struggled with my temper. I would lose it on occasion and after an incident of “embarrassingly blowing my cool,” I would say things like, “I’m never going to do that again!” That statement almost always turned out to be a lie. I have learned to avoid such statements like the plague, because they typically come back to haunt me. Now, I’d rather say, “by the grace of God my temper has been held in check,” But I know I must be on guard against it, and if it ever rears it’s ugly head again in my life. I know how to handle it. I handle it by bringing it to Jesus, confessing my sin, receiving His forgiveness, making amends if necessary, and moving on carefully, always mindful of how powerful my flesh can be in governing my spirit. 

If Jacob would’ve been asked point blank, “Would Rachel steal her brother’s household gods?” He likely would’ve replied, “Oh she would NEVER do that.” Use the word “never” sparingly my friend. Highly respected people (including you and I) can be blindsided by our flesh at any time! Jer 17:9 says, "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it?”

If you want to use the word “never,” use it in conjunction with God, who has said, “I will never leave or forsake you.” He is there for you and I for those times when our “nevers” come back to haunt us.

No comments :

Post a Comment