Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

# 273 From, To, and For


The Book of Genesis

Day 273

Ge 29:32 So Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben; for she said, "The LORD has surely looked on my affliction. Now therefore, my husband will love me."  33 Then she conceived again and bore a son, and said, "Because the LORD has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also." And she called his name Simeon.  34 She conceived again and bore a son, and said, "Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." Therefore his name was called Levi.  35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, "Now I will praise the LORD." Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she stopped bearing.

 So Leah conceived. Notice where Reubens story begins? At conception. I know people may get weary of me when I keep reminding them of this fact, but as long as it is in Scripture, I feel compelled to point it out. Life begins at conception. Let’s remind ourselves of this fact often since it seems our world has forgotten it!

The name Reuben means “See, a son!” It’s as if Leah was saying, “Hey Jacob, I ain’t no Rachel, but I produced a son for you. Maybe I ain’t so bad after all!”  Please note too, that she, quite properly gives glory and thanks to the Lord for noticing her affliction. As we have noted, her affliction, is the rejection she has experienced from her husband. It’s unfortunate, but she thought that by bearing a son for Jacob, he would now love her more than Rachel

Then she has another son, again giving God the glory and thanks, and again thinking this would do the trick in her relationship with Jacob. She names this son, “Simeon,” or “hearing.” The implication being that God has heard her cry of affliction (rejection)  and rewarded her with another son.

Still another son is born and she names him “Levi”, which means “joined.” The score now is Leah three and Rachel nothing, and you better believe these girls are keeping score. She hopes this third son will unite her or join her to Jacob.  The context of the word is as if they would become as twine, woven together in mutual love!

Then Leah bears a fourth son and names him Judah, or “praise.” All four names reflect her desire to rise in favor with her husband Jacob, yet it never happens and she remains unloved or rejected. How many others have fallen for that lie, “If you loved me you would_________.”

It is interesting to note here that out of this afflicted woman’s womb comes a son named Judah, and out of his seed would come Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who would die for the sin afflicted world!

So we have, FROM the afflicted…..Leah, TO the ultimate afflicted ….Jesus, FOR the sin afflicted…..you and I. No wonder he was named Judah! Praise seems an appropriate response!

No comments :

Post a Comment