Search This Blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015

My Deliverer!

656 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Sa 22:2 And he said: "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; 3 The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Savior, You save me from violence. (2 Sam 22:2,3) I love the songs of deliverance we find in the Bible. The song of Moses, the Song of Deborah, and here the song of David. As a matter of fact, I love the Rich Mullins song, “My Deliverer,” and John Newton's song of deliverance, “Amazing Grace,” and there are so many more. I love them because I'm not a songwriter and I love the fact that the Holy Spirit led the writers of these songs to help me express the way I feel about my God given peace through faith in Jesus Christ! Today I want to look at David's use of the word “deliverer,” to describe our Almighty God! The word means “escape.” A very fitting use of the term in the Rich Mullins song based on Joseph and Mary's escape to Egypt when Herod sought to kill Jesus. He wrote: “Joseph took his wife and her child and they went to Africa. To escape the rage of a deadly king. There along the banks of the Nile Jesus listened to the song that the captive children use to sing. They were singin' my Deliverer is comin', my deliverer is standing by.” That song gets me for a couple of reasons. First and foremost I was “a captive child” in the grasp of that “deadly king” for years as I lived a life apart from Jesus. It was only by the grace of God and the gospel of Christ that I escaped. Secondly, as I look at the world around me, I see the increasing pain and misery brought about by the one who Jesus called “the ruler of this world.” (Jn 12:31) And this song reminds me that the devil's day is coming. Believe it church! Our Deliverer is comin' soon! “My Deliverer is comin,' my Deliverer is standing by.” And when He comes there will be no more pain, no more sorrow, no more tears for those who are found in Christ. Friend, have you escaped the grasp of the deadly king? How's that life without Christ workin' for you? Bow your knee to Jesus. Repent and believe the gospel and experience deliverance now and then ultimately when our Deliverer returns!

No comments :

Post a Comment