Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Place To Hang Your Hat

655 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Sa 22:2 And he said: "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; 3 The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Savior, You save me from violence. (2 Sam 22:2,3) David is at peace with his enemies and he breaks out in song about God who he recognizes as the reason for his peace. This peace is the same kind of peace that we receive when we surrender our lives to Jesus. It is as the Bible states, “the peace that passes all understanding,” and it is a cause for a song in our hearts as well. The second thing that David likens his God to is “a fortress.” My first thought about a fortress would place it in the similar category of an unconquerable rock as we talked about last time, but the Hebrew word means “fastness.” Now there's a word we don't use very often. It means the quality or state of being fixed. We might say “well-anchored, immovable.” The idea being that we can count on God's unchanging character. He's not going to say one thing in His Word and do something else. Nu 23:19 says, "God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good? This unchanging aspect of God's character is reaffirmed for us in the Book of Hebrews where we read, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. (Heb 13:8) and in Heb 1:10-12, “And: "You, LORD, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your hands. 11 They will perish, but You remain; And they will all grow old like a garment; 12 Like a cloak You will fold them up, And they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will not fail." Life's circumstances are constantly changing, but isn't it wonderful and praiseworthy to note that God doesn't change. Though everything else may be shaken around us, He and His Word will always be a place where we can confidently hang our hat. David knew that, he learned it, he lived it, and he praised God for it! Let us do the same!

No comments :

Post a Comment