Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

In A Van Down By the River

459 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 7:1-3, “Now it came to pass when the king was dwelling in his house, and the LORD had given him rest from all his enemies all around, 2 that the king said to Nathan the prophet, "See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells inside tent curtains." 3 Then Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you." (2 Sam 7:1-3) My heart is greatly warmed as I read these verses, and I pray that God would help me to have the grateful heart of David. I mean here he is, settled in this brand new luxurious home that he didn't pay one cent for and enjoying the good life of peace in the nation. It's been a struggle to get here, but he has arrived. Now he might as well just sit back and enjoy it right? He could be like that rich farmer Jesus told us about in Luke 12:19, “And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.” But David looks around his plush surroundings, and maybe, while taking a walk around town, he comes to the tabernacle, and it hits him. “I'm living in a castle, God's living in a van down by the river.” It was on his heart to do something about that and so he comes to Nathan the prophet with his plan. David's response to the physical blessings that God has granted him, places a choice before you and I. What will we do with our blessings? Will we be like the rich fool farmer, who decided to hoard them and build bigger barns for himself, or will we be like David, seeking ways to bless God in return? Before we answer that question, let's see what Jesus had to say about the farmer. “This night your soul is required of you, and the things that you have prepared, whose will they be? So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.” (Luke 12:20,21) As we enjoy living in this peaceful land of plenty, let us all be thankful as David was, and let us seek to understand what it means to be rich toward God.....then pursue whatever that may be. God, thank You for blessing me. Show me how I might bless you!

No comments :

Post a Comment