Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How Can I Say Thanks

468 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 7:20,21, “Now what more can David say to You? For You, Lord GOD, know Your servant. 21 "For Your word's sake, and according to Your own heart, You have done all these great things, to make Your servant know them.” Ever feel like David? He has gone to the temple to spend some time in prayer, giving thanks to God, and he has this sudden realization that his words just aren't enough. In fact, he almost seems to be saying, “why do I bother to pray Lord? You know my words even before I can express them! David expressed this same sentiment in Ps 139:1-4, “O LORD, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.” So why pray? Why keep on praying? The answer in part is found in v21, "For Your word's sake, and according to Your own heart, You have done all these great things, to make Your servant know them.” We pray to strengthen our faith in the veracity of God's Word, and to have more and more of God's heart revealed to us. We pray, because it is part of God's personal revelation to us. (Remember, prayer is a TWO-way conversation! As I read this prayer of David's, where he seems to be searching for words of thanksgiving, I am reminded of the classic hymn, “To God Be the Glory.” It goes like this: How can I say thanks for all the things you have done for me. Things so undeserved, yet You gave, to prove your love for me. The voices of a million angels, cannot express my gratitude. All that I am or ever hope to be I owe it all to Thee. To God be the glory. To God be the glory. To God be the glory. For the things He has done. With His blood, He has saved me. With His power, He has raised me. To God be the glory, for the things HE has done. Father, how can I say thanks? Even the words of thanksgiving that well up in me are a gift from You! Give me the words and give me the actions today and everyday that say “thank You” for all You've done for me.

No comments :

Post a Comment