Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Royal Spat

456 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 6:20-22, “Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, "How glorious was the king of Israel today, uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!" 21 So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the LORD. 22 "And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight. But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor." (2 Sam 6:20-23) Oh my, it's not often that we get a glimpse of the home life of biblical characters. David pulls into the driveway after the big celebration and his wife comes out to meet him with a blast of sarcasm.. “Oh boy didn't you look great today. That's some king, dancing around half-naked. I'm sure you put on a good show for all the ladies!” “Oh yeah, well you're just mad because God chose me over your father to be the king of Israel. Therefore you better believe I'll dance and play music before the Lord! In fact, wait till next time! You don't like undignified....I'll show you undignified! Besides, I was just displaying my humility before the Lord, and as for those maidens, unlike you, they will hold me in high esteem!” Then they both slammed their doors as they went off to their rooms. Perhaps I'm being a little unfair here to this royal family, but those of you who are married can certainly identify with this little episode. It's a pretty good picture of some of the arguments that happen in all our homes. The husband comes home after having what he considered to be a great day at work, and he is greeted by a wife who has a bone to pick with him. She snips at him, and he roars back at her and words are spoken that are hurtful and unkind. It happens to the best of us....even in the royal family of Jesus. All I'm going to say about this is, please, be slow to speak, quick to forgive, and don't let the sun go down on your anger. Three biblical pieces of advice that can go a long way in dealing with marital flareups. Father, help us to work through our marital flareups, that we may continue to be a picture of Your Son's relationship with His bride...the church.

No comments :

Post a Comment