Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

When Your Worship Is Cooling Off

# 315 - As we continue going through the Book of 1 Samuel, we have come to the part where David is fleeing from Saul and winds up in Goliath's hometown, wearing Goliath's sword. He is brought before the king where he feigns insanity. This incident prompted the writing of the 56th Psalm and the 34th Psalm. These are Psalms that can help us when we find ourselves in a tight situation. Today we will look at the 34th Psalm. The thing that strikes me about this Psalm is the sense of thankfulness and confidence in his God that flow from David through the Holy Spirit after he was delivered from a life threatening situation. He found himself in this situation by making a wrong choice, but it doesn't matter. Whenever you or I are delivered from a tight spot, it would be well for us to pull out this Psalm and join the chorus of David and countless others who have experienced God's deliverance. Let these words remind you anew of how you felt after you made it through the tight spot. Ps 34:1 <> I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Did you catch that? “At all times!” Continual praise! What a noble goal for one who has experienced the deliverance of the Lord, but truthfully.....how soon we forget! His praise is NOT continually in our mouths, and that's why it's important to revisit our times of deliverance often. 1Ch 16:12 says, “Remember His marvelous works which He has done, His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth, One thing you will notice as you read the Old Testament and the Psalms is that God continually reminds the people of their deliverance from Egypt, and all the other tight spots His people found themselves in. These remembrances should evoke praise, as we acknowledge that no one but God could do it. I have a file in my computer called “Thanksgiving Stones.” It's a record of all the times I am aware of that God showed Himself strong on my behalf. It is good to pull them out and read them when I find my worship going cold, and even better when that old enemy of my soul, doubt, creeps into my thinking. Is your worship life cooling off? Be like David and recount God's past actions in your life, and let the praising resume! Father, who but You could bring me to the place where I am today. I praise and worship Your glorious name!

No comments :

Post a Comment