Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Minute By Minute Battle

# 313 - As we continue going through the Book of 1 Samuel, we have come to the part where David is fleeing from Saul and winds up in Goliath's hometown, wearing Goliath's sword. He is brought before King Achish where he feigns insanity. This incident prompted the writing of the 56th Psalm and the 34th Psalm. These are Psalms that can help us when we find ourselves in a tight situation. Today we will continue looking at the 56th picking it up at the first verse: “Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me up; Fighting all day he oppresses me. 2 My enemies would hound me all day, For there are many who fight against me, O Most High. First off David asks for mercy. He needs it because his enemies, (the Philistines) which serve as a type of the devil and his demons hound and fight against him all day. (You may not know it, but we, like David are harassed and hounded in similar fashion. We too need God's mercy for the daily battle! Often, we find ourselves in fearful situations because of this spiritual warfare. Listen to David's advice in v3,4: “ Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. 4 In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me? “ In our daily spiritual battles it is helpful to have an eternal perspective. Indeed, what can flesh do to me? Jesus reminded us of this in Mt 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.” Then David reminds us that the devil and his demons are constantly observing us, they mark our steps and they know our weaknesses. He says, “5 All day they twist my words; All their thoughts are against me for evil. 6 They gather together, They hide, they mark my steps, When they lie in wait for my life. David experienced this life or death situation with Achish for our own benefit. The Holy Spirit wants us to realize that we are in a minute buy minute eternal life and death struggle, and our only hope is faith (trust) in the mercy of God to pull us through. Are you in a tight spot today? Are you in the grip of fear? Do as David did. Praise God for His unshakeable Word and put your trust in it. Father grant me mercy and faith for the battles I will face today.

No comments :

Post a Comment