Search This Blog

Monday, April 8, 2019

# 439 The “Talk”


The Book of Genesis

Day 439


Ge 48:1 Now it came to pass after these things that Joseph was told, "Indeed your father is sick"; and he took with him his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.  2 And Jacob was told, "Look, your son Joseph is coming to you"; and Israel strengthened himself and sat up on the bed.  3 Then Jacob said to Joseph: "God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me,  4 "and said to me, 'Behold, I will make you fruitful and multiply you, and I will make of you a multitude of people, and give this land to your descendants after you as an everlasting possession.'

The time of Jacob’s death is near, so Joseph hurries to his side. He takes his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim with him. Three generations of a family gathered together to hear Jacob recount the covenant of God. Once again the family is reminded of the heritage they have from the Almighty. I’m sure Jacob had told them the story before, but he didn’t assume they would necessarily remember it. So he told them again: My descendants (that’s you boys) will be a great people and Canaan has been given to my descendants as an everlasting possession.”

When’s the last time you talked with your family about the heritage promised to you? When’s the last time you talked to your children and grandchildren about the time God met you and spoke His promise to your believing heart? What was that promise that God spoke to you? What do your children and grandchildren have to do in order to receive the same heritage?

I remember in my own life, watching a Jimmy Swaggart telecast, and as he started to preach the Scriptures, the Word of God did it’s thing, and I was convicted of the sin in my life, and I saw my deep need for a Savior, and so I turned to the only One who could save me from my sins….Jesus Christ.  God assured me that from the moment I received Jesus, my sins were completely forgiven. He set me free and gave me a peace that passed all human understanding.

But this promise is not just for me! When Peter preached to the throng on the day of Pentecost, and they were convinced of their sins, they cried out, “What shall we do?” and Peter replied, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.  39 "For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call." (Acts 2:38,39)

Never weary of telling your children and grandchildren your story of salvation, and never weary of telling them what God requires of them to receive His forgiveness and the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is the same for them and for their children and for their children’s children. It is a promise similar to Jacob’s in that it is everlasting,

“Repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus”. Never assume they know, for it’s not about “assumptions,” Rather it is about declaring what God has done for your soul!  Put Ps 66:16 into practice in your family! “Come and hear, all you who fear God, And I will declare what He has done for my soul.”

No comments :

Post a Comment