Search This Blog

Thursday, March 14, 2019

# 422 Building Something Better


The Book of Genesis

Day 422



Ge 45:9 "Hurry and go up to my father, and say to him, 'Thus says your son Joseph: "God has made me lord of all Egypt; come down to me, do not tarry.  10 "You shall dwell in the land of Goshen, and you shall be near to me, you and your children, your children's children, your flocks and your herds, and all that you have.  11 "There I will provide for you, lest you and your household, and all that you have, come to poverty; for there are still five years of famine."'  12 "And behold, your eyes and the eyes of my brother Benjamin see that it is my mouth that speaks to you.  13 "So you shall tell my father of all my glory in Egypt, and of all that you have seen; and you shall hurry and bring my father down here."

What a beautiful message from Joseph to his father. All these years of grief swallowed up in the news that his son Joseph is alive and very well. But after the good news was digested, I wonder if any thought was given to the promise that God had  made to Jacob at Bethel. Ge 35:12 "The land which I gave Abraham and Isaac I give to you; and to your descendants after you I give this land."

 It had taken Jacob years to break away from Laban before he was finally able to enter and possess the land, but now Joseph was asking him to leave. I wonder if any thought was given to the prophecy given to Abraham concerning this move? Remember? When  the deep sleep had fallen upon Abraham, horror and darkness came with it, as God showed him that his descendants would be strangers in a land that was not theirs, and they would serve these strangers and be afflicted by them for 400 years! Of course the rest of that promise would be that they would eventually see judgment fall upon their oppressors and they would come out of the land with great possessions. (See Gen 15:12-14)

We really have no clue as to whether he thought about it or not. It really didn’t matter. Due to the famine, they were going to have to move or die! In God’s plan, they needed to be in Egypt and God is getting them there. It was all part of His plan to make them a great nation.

Have you ever thought about God’s plans for you? It is His desire to bless you just as He blessed Abraham. Heb 6:10-14 reminds us: “For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister.  11 And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end,  12 that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.  13 For when God made a promise to Abraham, because He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself,  14 saying, "Surely blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply you."

 These are not just any old promises, they are promises from a faithful God!

I don’t know where God is calling you to exercise faith and/or patience right now, but I encourage you not to become weary. Don’t lose hope, and don’t get sluggish He may be calling you to let go of something you cherish, something you may even feel is rightfully yours. Jacob had to let go of the promised land in order for God to build something bigger and better. This is the same kind of faith and patience we need to exercise in our own lives, allowing God to build something bigger and better for us as well.

No comments :

Post a Comment