Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2019

# 392 What Are the Greater Works?


The Book of Genesis

Day 392


Ge 41: 32 "And the dream was repeated to Pharaoh twice because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

We  are taking a little break from the study in Genesis to pursue the importance of repetition in the Scriptures. In particular we are looking at the “verily, verilies” found in the Gospel of John. When God repeats things, He is merely underlining or highlighting them for us. He gives them an extra sense of urgency.

Today we will look at Joh 14:10-12, “Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.  11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.  12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

In this portion of John, (the final discourse of Jesus) He is preparing His disciples, (His church) for His departure. His death is not the end of all  that He has for them, it is just the beginning! (Joh 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.)

So here, in Jn 14:12, He lays another fantastic truth on them!. “He who believes in Me, will do the works that I do, and even greater works, because I go to My Father.” What does that statement conjure up in YOUR mind? Do you get visions of laying your hand on the sick and healing them or casting out demons? Maybe raising the dead? Walking on water? I know I do, but then I start to get a little troubled.

Quite frankly I have not witnessed a whole bunch of these kinds of miracles!  Oh I’ve heard of demonic deliverance in third world countries from trusted missionary friends, but not so much in America. I’ve been blessed to be a part of some physical healings through prayer and the laying on of hands, but it has been more the exception than the rule. And I certainly haven’t seen any physical miracles that SURPASS the works of Jesus. (Of course some miracles may have happened or may even be happening now that I am not aware of)

So what are we to make of this “verily, verily” statement? Let’s look again at verse 10: Jesus says, “The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; But the Father who dwells in Me does the works.”

The works? Why didn’t Jesus say, “the Father who dwells in Me does the speaking?” He went from SPEAKING the Word of God to doing the WORKS of God. This is key! Because in speaking the Word of God, the disciples, (His Church, you and I)  do the greater work! “For which is easier to say, “Your sins are forgiven you, or to say, “arise and walk.” (Mt 9:5)  Both require supernatural intervention from on high.

The point is, we have been given the faith and the privilege of speaking the supernatural Word of God. This Word has unlimited potential and it’s most powerful use is that of speaking forgivness and faith into the hearts of men.  This is a faith that doesn’t produce some temporary relief of a natural law (Lazarus did die again) but rather it speaks a permanent victory over death, sin, and the devil! THERE IS NO GREATER WORK!

Remember the jailer at Philippi? He cried out to Paul and Silas, “What must I do to be saved?” And they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.” And he did. There were no hoops to jump through, no prayer to say, he just responded to the Word of God . The word spoken by Paul and Silas spoke faith into that man’s heart. There is no greater work than this, and this work has been given to the church! Therefore, speak it! Declare it in the name of Jesus and that spoken Word will accomplish the purpose for which God has sent it!

No comments :

Post a Comment