Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2019

# 382 White Are the Fields


The Book of Genesis

Day 382


Ge 41: 32 "And the dream was repeated to Pharaoh twice because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.

We  are taking a little break from the study in Genesis to pursue the importance of repetition in the Scriptures. In particular we are looking at the “verily, verilies” found in the Gospel of John. When God repeats things, He is merely underlining or highlighting them for us. He gives them an extra sense of urgency.

Today we will look at   Joh 6:34-48, “Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.  35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.  36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.  37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.  38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.  39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but  should raise it up again at the last day.  40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.  41 The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, I am the bread which came down from heaven.  42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?  43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.  44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.  45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.  46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.  47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.  48 I am that bread of life.

Jesus continues His discourse with the Jews on the Bread of Life. He repeats His assertion here that He made earlier in verse 35, “I am the Bread of Life!” (There’s that principle of repetition at work again!) In verse 34, the people begged Him to give them this bread always, and Jesus said, “no need to beg, just come. 

Who are those who come? They are the ones given to Jesus by the Father. (verse 37) So how does the Father decide who comes to Jesus and who doesn’t? Well. He doesn’t “decide” per se, He calls us to come through the working of His Word and the Holy Spirit. In verses 44 and 45 we are reminded, that no one can come to Jesus unless the Father who sent Him, draws . We are drawn by the Word (the prophets) whom God uses to teach us about salvation, and if we are willing students we come.

Do you see how important it is that the Word of God is simply proclaimed? It is God’s chosen instrument to bring the lost to Jesus! Have you come to Jesus? If so, it’s because you were taught by God through the proclamation of His Word. His Word created a hunger in you  for the Bread of Life and His Word assured you that you don’t have to work for it. All you had to do was receive it and partake of it, and anyone who partakes of this Bread (Jesus) will live forever!

Now that you have tasted, don’t you want others to taste it? Don’t you want to share the recipe with others? Then get involved somehow with your local congregation in the great commission. People are starving to eternal death in your families, your neighborhoods, your workplaces, your state, your nation, the world! They are missing out on the bread of Life because we have become content to gorge ourselves on this feast with little thought of others.

Church! Let’s get going! White are the fields!

No comments :

Post a Comment