Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2018

# 314 We Are Family


The Book of Genesis

Day 314

Ge 33:12 Then Esau said, "Let us take our journey; let us go, and I will go before you."  13 But Jacob said to him, "My lord knows that the children are weak, and the flocks and herds which are nursing are with me. And if the men should drive them hard one day, all the flock will die.  14 "Please let my lord go on ahead before his servant. I will lead on slowly at a pace which the livestock that go before me, and the children, are able to endure, until I come to my lord in Seir."  15 And Esau said, "Now let me leave with you some of the people who are with me." But he said, "What need is there? Let me find favor in the sight of my lord."  16 So Esau returned that day on his way to Seir.  17 And Jacob journeyed to Succoth, built himself a house, and made booths for his livestock. Therefore the name of the place is called Succoth.

It is heartwarming to see reconciliation in a family….any family! Esau invites Jacob to journey on with him  to Seir, but Jacob has his heart set on returning to the land that God had promised him. He begs off with the very legitimate excuse that his wives, children, and livestock would not be able to keep up with the hard charging pace of Esau. Jacob tells Esau to go ahead, he’ll catch up with him later, and of course it never happened.

I’m reminded of the many instances in my own life, at various family gatherings. How often we say things like, “We’ll have to get together soon!” or, “We shouldn’t just see each other at weddings and funerals!” And of course we never see anyone until the next wedding or funeral!  But hey, that’s OK! Life happens and we all have our lives to live. We gravitate to our own circle of acquaintances, or our own vocations and do life!

It seems in this day and age of upwardly mobile people, families are farther and farther apart, but one family is never far away, no matter where you are located, and that is the family of God! Jesus said in Mt 12:48, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?"  49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers!  50 "For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

Strong words, but the truth for the Christian is this: We are members of a new family! All disciples, all believers, those who do the will of the Father are our new family members. This of course, does not give us license to neglect our biological families, (We shall see that play out later on when Esau and Jacob team up to bury their father) In fact the Scriptures tell us in 1Ti 5:8, “ But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”

So, be sure to take care of your biological family, but remember, true family connections, that carry on through eternity are made through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ!

Are you looking for a family? Have you persevered in finding a local congregation of believers to belong to?  Remember, wherever two or more are gathered in the name of Jesus…..you have family!

No comments :

Post a Comment