Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

# 313 Thankful Giving


The Book of Genesis

Day 313

Ge 33:6 Then the maidservants came near, they and their children, and bowed down.  7 And Leah also came near with her children, and they bowed down. Afterward Joseph and Rachel came near, and they bowed down.  8 Then Esau said, "What do you mean by all this company which I met?" And he said, "These are to find favor in the sight of my lord."  9 But Esau said, "I have enough, my brother; keep what you have for yourself."  10 And Jacob said, "No, please, if I have now found favor in your sight, then receive my present from my hand, inasmuch as I have seen your face as though I had seen the face of God, and you were pleased with me.  11 "Please, take my blessing that is brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me, and because I have enough." So he urged him, and he took it.

The formalities all taken care of, Esau now asks Jacob, “What gives with all the presents?” Jacob replies, “These are all for you, that I might find favor in your sight.”  Esau replies, “that’s really not necessary, I have all that I need.”

At that point, I might have said something like, “OK” and taken all my droves back, but not Jacob! Something has happened in his heart since his meeting with Esau! He says, “You have granted me favor and there is no need to receive the gift in the spirit of my original intent! (that he might buy Esau’s favor) Rather, receive this gift in which I now give it!

You know, when we met back there, and you ran toward me, and embraced me, and kissed me, and wept with me, it was like being greeted by God Himself! That is the spirit in which I now give this gift to you!  I give it as if it were a gift to God!  For as you were pleased with me, (and the word “pleased” here means to be pleased with someone as if their debt was paid,) so I am grateful to you!”
What Jacob was saying in effect is, “Since you have forgiven the debt that I owed you through my stealing of the birthright and the blessing, I give this to you as a way of saying thanks!”

What a beautiful picture of scriptural giving! “We love Him because He first loved us!”  We don’t give to God to buy His favor, we give out of response to His favor! Jacob was given a glimpse of the character of God through his brother Esau as he was unconditionally received and forgiven! This welcome by Esau was the same kind of welcome the father gave to his prodigal son. It is the same kind of welcome God gives to you and I as we turn from our sins and turn back to God, and it should prompt the same kind of giving!

God running to meet us, embracing us, kissing us, tears of joy running down His face as we return to him! How can we not but gladly give to one who so freely has accepted us and forgiven us all our sins!

No comments :

Post a Comment