Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2018

# 265 Tithing: A Great Place To Start


The Book of Genesis

Day 265


Ge 28:20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on,  21 "so that I come back to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God.  22 "And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You."

Let’s talk a little bit about tithing. This is the first time it has been brought up in Scripture since the incident with Abraham and Melchizedek.  If you recall, Melchizedek was a high priest, a type of Christ, and Abraham gave him a tithe of all the spoils of the battle. By tithing, he was acknowledging the superiority or lordship of Melchizedek.  So, Jacob, in promising to tithe was in effect acknowledging the superiority or Lordship of God in his life. Tithing is an act of submission, it is an acknowledgment of lordship.  It’s not the only act of acknowledgment, but it’s clear that it is one that pleases God.

The problem with Jacob’s tithe, is he made it conditional. (Note the big “if!”) IF God will protect me. IF God will supply all my needs. IF I return to this land in peace.  THEN the Lord shall be my God. THEN this will be a special place of worship! THEN I will tithe.

If God’s love for us is unconditional (and it is according to Joh 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” ) then our love for Him ought to be unconditional as well.

It’s called faith! It’s called taking God at His Word without any catch 22’s on our part. I remember when my wife and I started tithing in accordance with Mal 3:8-12,  "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, 'In what way have we robbed You?' In tithes and offerings.  9 You are cursed with a curse, For you have robbed Me, Even this whole nation.  10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this," Says the LORD of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.  11 "And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, So that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, Nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field," Says the LORD of hosts;  12 "And all nations will call you blessed, For you will be a delightful land," Says the LORD of hosts.

We believed (and still do)  what these words say, and started to tithe. We didn’t wait until God opened the window of blessing. We didn’t wait till the devourer was rebuked. We didn’t wait till we had bumper crops. We didn’t wait till all nations called us blessed! We began to faithfully tithe and have never regretted it.

By the grace of God, we were able to remove our “if’s” from the conversation knowing and believing that God is faithful in all His promises.

Giving to the Lord is a journey that we are all on. It is a journey toward a generosity exemplified by the generous love of our God. Tithing is a great place to start.

No comments :

Post a Comment