Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

# 249 The End Does Not Justify the Means


The Book of Genesis

Day 249

Ge 27:3 "Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.  4 "And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die."  5 Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it.  6 So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, "Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying,  7 'Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.'  8 "Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you.  9 "Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves.  10 "Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death."

Isaac is getting old! His eyesight is getting dim, and he confessed to Esau that he didn’t think he had many years left on this earth. (He actually lived for 43 more years) So he asks Esau for one more meal of his favorite spicy wild game and promises to use the occasion to pass along the traditional blessing given to the first born son.

Isaac, evidently had never bought into the Word of the Lord that had been given to Rebekah at the birth of Esau and Jacob. God had made a point to remind her that Jacob was to receive the blessing of the first born, (the older was to serve the younger!)

This must’ve been quite a hunt for Esau! He (not Jacob) was being called upon by his father, to do this one last thing that would bring great pleasure to his dad, AND he gets the blessing to boot! What son wouldn’t love to have this opportunity!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Rebekah has been eavesdropping, and instead of reminding Isaac of the Word of the Lord, she decides to take matters into her own hands. She comes up with a scheme to trick her husband into giving the blessing to Jacob where it rightfully belongs.

How often do we fall into the same impatient trap. Rather than trusting God to work out His will in our situation we resort to our own devices to accomplish the end result. How often do we believe that the end justifies our means.

Don’t get me wrong here, we ought to set our hearts on accomplishing the will of God, but we ought to do it in a way that is pleasing to Him and within the guidelines of His Word! In this case, Rebekah should have come to Isaac and reminded him of God’s Word concerning the blessing, and then she should be willing to wait on the Lord to bring it to pass.

God’s not looking for people who manipulate others….He’s looking for people who are willing to wait and obey!

No comments :

Post a Comment