Search This Blog

Friday, December 15, 2017

# 119 Spill the Beans

The Book of Genesis Day 119 Ge 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward." 2 But Abram said, "Lord GOD, what will You give me, seeing I go childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?" 3 Then Abram said, "Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!" Have you ever spent time moping? That’s kinda what’s going on with Abram. He has just been through a rather “busy” time in his life to say the least! He risked life and limb to rescue his nephew, then there was the big victory celebration with Melchizedek, then the giving of the tithe, there was a lot of faith stretching taking place here! But now the dust has settled and the daily routine of life sets in and with a little more time on his hands Abram apparently begins to worry. So much so, that God finds it necessary to appear to Him and allay his fears. One can almost hear the thoughts of Abram tumbling in his mind concerning his own peace and security! “I beat them off this time, but unless I start getting some real numbers in my camp, I’m going to be in trouble out here!” And, “What was I thinking, giving away 10% of the loot, I may need that money later on!” In the midst of whatever was troubling Abram, the Lord shows up to console His friend. (James 2:23 says that Abraham was “the friend of God.”) He says, “Do not be afraid, I am your shield.” The word “shield” here carries with it the idea of armor as the skin of a crocodile. So God is assuring Abram that numbers don’t mean anything. God will protect His friend from harm just as the skin of a crocodile protects it from harm. Furthermore, Abram doesn’t need to worry about that loot that he gave away, because God is his “exceedingly great reward!” You’d think this would be the end of the conversation, but it isn’t! You see, God has a way to get to the heart of what is really eating at us. In opening the conversation with His friend Abram, God gives Abram room to speak honestly about his deepest concern. And he blurts it out, “Lord God, what will You give me, seeing I go childless?” Ahhhh, that’s what’s eating at Abram! The old biological clock is ticking and he has no child! God was just waiting for Abram to say it! What’s eating at you today? Do you think God is not aware of it? He may be waiting for you to verbalize it to Him in a friendly conversation with Him! It’s not like you or I can hide anything from Him? He knows our every thought! Ps 139:2-4 says, “ You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. You were made a friend of God through faith in Jesus Christ, why not open up your heart to your friend and spill the beans? Talk to Him in prayer! Pour your true feelings and desires out to Him and see what He will do. After all, isn’t that what friends are for? Pray, Father, forgive me for my tendency to mope, help me to remember that I always have a friend with You, a friend who desires to hear my deepest thoughts and concerns. Help me to cast my cares upon You, if for no other reason than, You care for me!

No comments :

Post a Comment