Search This Blog

Thursday, December 14, 2017

# 118 A Word About Boycotts

The Book of Genesis Day 118 Ge 14: 22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, "I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth, 23 "that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, 'I have made Abram rich' - 24 "except only what the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me: Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion." It’s fairly clear here that Abram is not interested in the worldly goods of the King of Sodom. He’ll stick with the providence of the God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth. It is Abram’s desire to give all glory to God, and to not share that glory with anyone. Isa 42:8 says, “I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images.” Oh, that we would learn from Abram! How quick we are to settle for the scraps offered to us by the King of Sodom. How quick we are to forget who is the real possessor of heaven and earth, and how quick we are to dilute the glory of God. We often look at our budgets, (business, ministry, and household) and in our panic, we will do business with the King of Sodom to save a buck or two. I’m not a huge fan of boycotts because people often don’t bother to get their facts straight, or they don’t take the time to let the business know why they are no longer buying their product, or they often write or say things that just aren’t very Christ-like. But, I do boycott. I do my research, and I refuse to do business with companies who use their profits to promote and support ungodly causes and organizations. AND I do keep the conversation with these businesses…..civil! Eze 28:18 says, "You defiled your sanctuaries By the multitude of your iniquities, By the iniquity of your trading; Therefore I brought fire from your midst; It devoured you, And I turned you to ashes upon the earth In the sight of all who saw you.” This Scripture was addressed to the city of Tyre and it was completely wiped off the face of the earth because of the iniquity of their trading. As people of God, we ought to monitor how and where we spend our money, always keeping the glory of God as our true bottom line. Pray: Father, help me to spend wisely, always looking to bring You glory!

No comments :

Post a Comment