Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2015

Battling Besetting Sins Part 5

685- Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Sa 22:38 "I have pursued my enemies and destroyed them; Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed. 39 And I have destroyed them and wounded them, So that they could not rise; They have fallen under my feet. We've been talking about overcoming besetting sins. We read here that David “did not turn back,” he didn't give up! That is key in our struggles with besetting sins. There are times when we are sailing along with apparent victory and suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, we fall again. I don't think there is anything more spiritually disheartening than these relapses. The devil is more than willing to use these setbacks to convince us to give up the struggle. I know it's wearisome, but I beg you, keep fighting! Finish the race! Fight to the finish! Persevere! The Lord is on your side and His desire is for you to endure! The Apostle Paul endured all sorts of hardships and besetting sins, ( Ro 7:19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.) But he persevered, believing, “And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom.” (2 Ti 4:18) The Psalmist also believed it and wrote in Ps 121:7 The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. 8 The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in From this time forth, and even forevermore. 1Co 10:13 reminds each one of us that the way to victory over temptation involves endurance! “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear (endure) it. I pray that you are able with the Lord's help to persevere and overcome your besetting sins, but if you mess up, allow the Holy Spirit to convict you of those sins, let Him bring forth holy tears of contrition as you experience godly sorrow over them, and the peace and joy that comes from knowing you are forgiven! Ps 126:5 says, “ Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.” Cling to that promise and keep fighting!

No comments :

Post a Comment