Search This Blog

Monday, August 14, 2023

Spiritual Gifts Part 9 - Prophecy

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

We’ve been talking about spiritual gifts spoken of in 1 Cor 12, and as we look at them let us not forget their purpose. They are given to exhibit the presence of the Holy Spirit amongst believers, and are used to profit the Body of Christ. The presence of these supernatural manifestations link individuals and  congregations to the one true God of the Apostles.

 

I think a close examination of these “gifts” will show us that they were evidenced in the ministry of the Apostles, and therefore it should not be strange that they would show up in the church at Corinth then, and dare I say even in the church of America today!

 

These gifts are listed for us beginning in verse 8 and the sixth is the gift of “prophecy.” –  my Strong’s Concordance defines this word as “to see completely.” It was this gift that allowed Paul to warn of the shipwreck in  Ac 27:10 saying, "Men, I perceive that this voyage will end with disaster and much loss, not only of the cargo and ship, but also our lives."  11 Nevertheless the centurion was more persuaded by the helmsman and the owner of the ship than by the things spoken by Paul.

 

The prophecy was to serve as a warning, that went unheeded. Later Paul received another prophecy concerning their fate; Ac 27:21 But after long abstinence from food, then Paul stood in the midst of them and said, "Men, you should have listened to me, and not have sailed from Crete and incurred this disaster and loss.

 22 "And now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. 23 "For there stood by me this night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve, 24 "saying, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must be brought before Caesar; and indeed God has granted you all those who sail with you.' 25 "Therefore take heart, men, for I believe God that it will be just as it was told me. 26 "However, we must run aground on a certain island."

 

That island was Malta where people needed to see a demonstration of the power of God and they did through Paul’s survival of a deadly snakebite, and numerous healings that took place!

 

The evidence of this gift being active in the fledgling church was also on display in  Ac 11:27 And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. 28 Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar.

 

Still another example from Agabus is found in  Ac 21:10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11 When he had come to us, he took Paul's belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, "Thus says the Holy Spirit, 'So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.'"

 

Both of these events happened just as Agabus said they would, he “saw completely.” In a sense, God showed him these future events, thus proving he had this gift:

 

The litmus test for such a prophet is found in  De 18:22 "when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

 

 

You can see the value of such a gift amongst believers as it prepares them for what is to come.  You can also see the danger of abuses. So, beware.

 

On one hand don’t despise this gift,  1Th 5:20 Do not despise prophecies.

 On the other be sure to test them using the Word of God as the standard. 1Th 5:21

Test all things; hold fast what is good.

 

I was on the receiving end of a prophecy years ago. My wife and I were attending a dinner event for a Christian pro-life ministry, At the time, we were wrestling with a decision to leave my radio ministry at WEMI and plant a church.

 

A young man came to our table and asked to have a private word with me. He told me that the Lord told him that I would have a ministry that would affect thousands of people. He also quoted my life’s verse to me, (Ps 37:4) and I wondered how he could possibly know that!

 

I took this as a green light to plant the church. Long story short the church plant didn’t work out and after 10 years of meager attendance, we closed the doors.

 

Was the young man off on his prophecy or did my ticklish ears put my own spin on it? I won’t know that answer until I’m in glory. In the meantime I will do what the Lord has called me to do. Preach and teach His word! Whether I reach just one or thousands of souls I don’t know. I’ll let Him worry about the numbers. In the meantime I will take that prophecy as a sign to keep on keepin’ on as long as the Lord wills.

 

 I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment