Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2023

Spiritual Gifts Part 8 - Works of Miracles

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

We’ve been talking about spiritual gifts spoken of in 1 Cor 12, and as we look at them let us not forget their purpose. They are given to exhibit the presence of the Holy Spirit amongst believers, and are used to profit the Body of Christ. The presence of these supernatural manifestations link individuals and  congregations to the one true God of the Apostles.

,”

I think a close examination of these “gifts” will show us that they were evidenced in the ministry of the Apostles, and therefore it should not be strange that they would show up in the church at Corinth then, and dare I say even in the church of America today!

 

These gifts are listed for us beginning in verse 8 and the fifth is the “works of miracles” What is a miracle? Is it not a supernatural occurrence that flies in the face of natural law? Again, there is no shortage of these events as recorded in the early church in the Book of Acts.

 

And it’s not so much that Phillip had the ‘gift of miracles”, when he was transported away from the eunuch in  Ac 8:39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more;

 

Or when Peter walked out of jail and the iron gate opened for him on its own accord.in  Ac 12:10 When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord;

 

Rather it’s the idea that miracles will show up as willed by God whenever they are needed to bolster confidence in the Holy Spirit’s presence amongst believers.

 

These miracles were hard to miss in the days of the early church, but these days they seem to be a little less evident. Part of the problem is we just don’t seem to look for them. We are more comfortable with “coincidences,” than “God-incidences.” And they don’t have to be all that spectacular!

 

I experienced a miracle in church this past Sunday. It may appear small to you, but I assure it was “big” to me.

 

I’ve been experiencing tremors in my left hand lately. My hand starts shaking and I can’t control it. It was a communion Sunday at our church and I was asked to help distribute the bread.  I agreed and as the service went on I kept thinking “what have I agreed to do?” I can’t hold onto the tray with this shaking hand!”

 

I prayed, “Lord help me,” and He did. The tremors stopped and I was able to distribute without incident. You see, I couldn’t stop my shaking hand but God did.

 

Faith affirming miracles still occur in the church! Look for them and give glory to God as the Holy Spirit works miracles in your midst.

 

 

 I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment