Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

A Prayer From David

 

 

Ps 143:1 <<A Psalm of David.>> Hear my prayer, O LORD, Give ear to my supplications! In Your faithfulness answer me, And in Your righteousness.

 

David begins this Psalm with a plea to God: It reminds me of that portion of our weekly worship service when we present our prayer petitions before the Lord, and the pastor says, “Lord in Your mercy,” and the congregation replies, “Hear our prayer.”

God delights to hear the prayers of the upright! Pr 15:8b reminds us: “the prayer of the upright is His delight.

Then, in verse 2, we read, 2 Do not enter into judgment with Your servant, For in Your sight no one living is righteous.

David acknowledges that he is not worthy of God’s delight and if his prayer is to be heard, it’s not because he deserves it, but only because of God’s great grace and mercy!

This is the right attitude of prayer, it mirrors the tax collector’s prayer found in Lu 18:13 "And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'  14 "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

 

David continues: 3 For the enemy has persecuted my soul; He has crushed my life to the ground; He has made me dwell in darkness, Like those who have long been dead. 4 Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me; My heart within me is distressed.

Here we see David’s reason for prayer. He feels like the devil’s personal hacky sack

Then in verses 5 and 6 it hits David! 5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your works; I muse on the work of Your hands. 6 I spread out my hands to You; My soul longs for You like a thirsty land.

 

It wasn’t always like this, I have let my first love slip! I remember now those days when I pondered Your work in my life, and so here I am, once again lifting my hands to You, asking You to quench my spiritual thirst!

 

He concludes with the word “Selah.” It’s a musical direction and indicates a time to pause, to rest, to let what has just been said sink in. Let us do the same.

Then let us follow the direction given to church at Ephesus found in Re 2:4 "Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 "Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent.

 

“God, rekindle that first love in our hearts, when Your Holy Spirit first showed us how great Your love toward us has been and continues to be.

No comments :

Post a Comment