Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2020

# 25 Following Jesus

# 25 Following Jesus

Joh 1:43 The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, "Follow Me."  44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.

Jesus continues to gather disciples. He had picked up three the day before and now he adds Phillip. Phillip was from the same city as Andrew and Peter, and notice that in this case Jesus came to him. He purposely sought out Phillip and said to him, “Follow Me!”

Now, I’m going to take a little license here, because I am not a Greek grammarian, so bear with me. According to my study Bible this command in the Greek language is given in what is called the “present imperative.” It’s a command to do something in the future and involves continuous or repeated action.

Think about that.

We call ourselves “followers of Christ,” but what do we really mean by that? Do we assert that we follow Him and then occasionally show up at church, sing some songs and then return to the world and its ways for another week, or does our following of Christ involve “continued and repeated” walking with Him?

If Jesus would appear where you are right now, as He did with Phillip, and say, “Follow Me!” What would that mean to you? I hope it would mean what it did to Phillip and the other disciples. “From now on, (future) Follow Me!” (Imperative or command)

Those who hear the Shepherd’s voice in the “present imperative,” go all in with Jesus! He said in Joh 10:27"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me”

To follow Jesus is to let go of your worldly ways and serve Him! Joh 12:25,26, says, "He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  26 "If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.


The idea behind serving is waiting on tables. It is to care for the needs of others. As we care for the needs of others in the name of Jesus, He promises to be right along side us, (where I am, there My servant will be also. ”and we find ourselves obeying His “present imperative.” We find ourselves following Him!

No comments :

Post a Comment