Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

With Prayer, Praise, and Thanksgiving


Periodically, I like to open up my Lutheran Catechism and review some of the basic tenets of the faith. Today, I found myself in the commandments, specifically the one that says: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh His name in vain.

Then Luther adds: What does this mean?

We should fear and love God so that we do not curse, swear, conjure, lie, or deceive, by His Name, but call upon Him in every time of need and worship Him with prayer, praise, and thanksgiving.

This explanation of the command always brings me back to my conversion, my return to the Father’s ranch as a broken prodigal. One day I was a careless spewer of obscenities and curses, throwing the name of Jesus around with a sneer, and the next day, His name flowed out of my lips like honey! And if I heard anyone curse with my Lord’s name, I was cut to the heart! (I still am)

I can’t explain why He took my foul mouth away, but I’m glad He did. Perhaps it is the deep down gratitude of my soul for what Jesus has done for me on the cross. And from that day when I returned to the ranch as a broken prodigal, I have been compelled by the Holy Spirit to worship Jesus with prayer, praise, and thanksgiving.

I am not deserving of this grace he has bestowed on me, but it sure comes in handy in my every time of need, a need such as the one that we are all facing in our world today.  May the Holy Spirit touch your heart in such a way that even in the midst of this crisis you are able to worship Him with prayer, praise, and thanksgiving.

No comments :

Post a Comment