Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

# 226 Delayed Obedience Is Sin


The Book of Genesis

Day 226

 Ge 24:51 "Here is Rebekah before you; take her and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as the LORD has spoken."  52 And it came to pass, when Abraham's servant heard their words, that he worshiped the LORD, bowing himself to the earth.  53 Then the servant brought out jewelry of silver, jewelry of gold, and clothing, and gave them to Rebekah. He also gave precious things to her brother and to her mother.  54 And he and the men who were with him ate and drank and stayed all night. Then they arose in the morning, and he said, "Send me away to my master."  55 But her brother and her mother said, "Let the young woman stay with us a few days, at least ten; after that she may go."  56 And he said to them, "Do not hinder me, since the LORD has prospered my way; send me away so that I may go to my master."

One thing I really like about Abraham's servant is that he doesn't dilly dally around. There is no hem and haw in him when he is certain things are from the Lord! “What's the point of hanging around ten days if the Lord is in this thing?  Let's get going! I've got a mission to accomplish here!”

I wonder how many blessings of God I have missed by my own dawdling. You know the feeling I'm sure! You read something in God's Word, that really speaks to your heart, and the Holy Spirit has convinced you that God is calling you to action, but you hesitate. You really mean to do it, but for some reason you delay, maybe even at the suggestion of others such as the case here with Rebekah's family.  They mean well, but they convince you to delay your obedience. Maybe it's the busyness of life that hinders you from obedience, or a lack of finances. Whatever the reason, obedience delayed is always a recipe for trouble.

James put it this way:  Jas 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit";  14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.  15 Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that."  16 But now you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.  17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

Again, all parties involved here knew that the Lord was in this marital arrangement, therefore it was a good thing. Delaying obedience might bring in that old enemy, “doubt.” Second thoughts could have sabotaged this mission, and so the servant pleads, “Do not hinder me in carrying out my masters orders!”

Let us learn to guard against these hindrances in our own walk with the Lord. If it is of the Lord, don't delay! Carry out your Master’s orders! Delayed obedience is sin!

No comments :

Post a Comment