Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

# 215 Angels Unaware

The Book of Genesis

Day 215

Ge 24:5 And the servant said to him, "Perhaps the woman will not be willing to follow me to this land. Must I take your son back to the land from which you came?" 6 But Abraham said to him, "Beware that you do not take my son back there. 7 "The LORD God of heaven, who took me from my father's house and from the land of my family, and who spoke to me and swore to me, saying, 'To your descendants I give this land,' He will send His angel before you, and you shall take a wife for my son from there. 8 "And if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be released from this oath; only do not take my son back there." 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter.

“He will send His angel before you.” Sometimes I think we blow these kind of statements off as we read them in Scripture. Abraham had a much higher view of God than most of us do. He didn’t say, “God could” or “God might,” he said “God will!” There was no doubt in Abraham’s mind about God’s ability or willingness to use His invisible army to carry out His will on earth. This is not some sort of eerie superstition embraced by new age zealots. This is physical reality, and we as Christians would do well to embrace it! God has angels and they are at His disposal!. But remember, they are angels, they are not to be worshiped. Rather the One who dispatches them is to be worshiped!
In Re 22:8,9 we read, “Now I, John, saw and heard these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel who showed me these things. 9 Then he said to me, "See that you do not do that. For I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren the prophets, and of those who keep the words of this book. Worship God."

Angels, are nothing more than fellow servants. The only difference is they are never reluctant to carry out God’s commands as we are. ( I might add here that the only reluctant angels in this world are demons, and when push comes to shove, (as Jesus so often demonstrated) they too must obey God!)

I think we all would be amazed at just how often God’s angels engage the enemy for us and help clear obstacles out of our way in order for “God’s will to be done!” Every now and then we are given glimpses of the work of God’s heavenly army on our behalf. Doors are opened, barriers are either put in place or laid low. The work is done in supernatural fashion and God loves doing it for His precious children!
Heb 1:14 describes angels in this manner: “Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister (to get the job done if you will) for those who will inherit salvation?”

In Abraham’s case, some woman in the city of Nahor was going to be an heir of salvation with Isaac because of the work of an angel that God was going to send to clear the way for Abraham’s servant.
Some woman was going to marry Isaac, and the Promised Seed in the line of Adam and Abraham would continue to move forward. The Seed that would make it possible for you and I to also be “heirs of salvation,” and to be beneficiaries of God’s ministering spirits while we are on this side of heaven!

Pray: Father, help us to be thankful for Your “angels unaware” that minister to us in ways we do not yet see. In giving thanks let us guard against worshiping the messenger, but rather worship You the One who sends them to our aid!

No comments :

Post a Comment